Life in Words. Seeing the World through my eyes.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The rockin' beats within

It was a hot afternoon and the running water from the shower-head was just heaven to stand under. Music was blasting from the bathroom and it echoed through the whole neighbourhood. A loud, eeky voice that was obviously stunggling to hit all the high notes overwhelmed the loud music that could already be heard from miles away.

Since my adolecence years started, I always took my showers with the radio on. It was pretty much the only place I could sing at the top of my voice, unafraid to be heard because I thought nobody could hear me. *ya, right*
Then after 3 years of loud, horrible singing, I found out that actually all my neighbours could hear me when one of my neighbours told my mum, "Your daughter ah, very good at singing hor. Ask her next time sing Chinese songs. She sing Engrish songs, I don't know how to sing leh."

LIKE... ZOMG!
She was probably being sarcastic, but... I think I'll just assume that she meant it and I have a good voice. Eversince, I've been singing more in public. I am thick-skinned, you see. My friends say its annoying... But I know they like it. They seem to laugh alot when I sing. When people laugh its an indication that they're happy, no?



Music just turns my happy mood on. I get a bit high. I have all these weird dances and impressions for a few songs. When I hear the song 'Hey, Jude' all will hail me. AND, and, and... when I am rocking my air guitar, OMG! I bring the hiz house down. LOL. okay. enough self-praising. I feel so self-indulged now. But at least now you see how I am musically inclined! I had a video to show. But some problems occured when trying to upload.
try this link: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=390619030185#!/video/video.php?v=390619030185&ref=mf


Music, something everyone can relate to, no matter the genre. Music, it is within us all, even if it is burried deep down inside, it exists somewhere in our souls. Music helps us express ourselves when we find it too difficult to express our emotions.

Even in the Ice Ages music already originated. It was probably only the sound of the icy stones being drummed on with branches. Music later on evolved to the Mideval era. Then, Renaissance and later on in the 16th century, music started becoming more recognised with great composers like J.S.Bach who's death in 1750 marked the end of the baroque era. Mozart later on expanded classical music and following him closely was Beethoven who introduces the Romantic style into Classical. The Romantic era took over by storm with famous composers like Chopin. Then soon after, 20th century music came about.

But while all that was going on...

Some of the greatest artists were born;Frank Sinatra, Ambritha Franklin, Ben E King and Elvis Presley. Bands that took the world by storm like BeeGees and The Beatles also came about. Music quickly evolved into the modern days.



These days, there are new bands being formed everyday. I'm going to blog about 1 or 2 bands that are right here in Malaysia. First, a band that has current uprising popularity in Taylor's. Although the craze has not reached Lakeside, but they have already played in Subang and Sri Hartamas.

They call themselves 2nd to None. *please clap hands*


I know the guitarist personally, so I managed to get an interview over the phone.

History

Jon, the guitarist, originally was inspired by his sister's friends who were in bands, to start having a band of his own at the age of 12. A year later, he started high school in St. Francis Institution, Malacca. This was the place where the band started to come together.
Jon had met an old friend, Kim Wei from his primary school swimming days. They started reconnecting and talking about the idea of forming a band.

In form 2, Jon and Kim Wei was joined by Teh Teng Quan who played the drums. And so, they formed a 3 peice band with Jon on the guitar and Kim Wei on the bass. But Teng Quan soon broke under the pressure of feeling like he wasn't up to standard and so he left the band. He was quickly replaced by another drummer, Terry.

Jon took up the part of the vocalist in Form 3, but that didn't work out well because his focus on playing the guitar had defered. A new guitarist was brought in to resolve that problem. His name, Seth. They started writing their own songs and playing in small events around Malacca. Soon, the band started getting recognitionan and popularity was on the rise.

2 years later, after completing their form 5, the band started getting shaky due to the band members being pre-occupied with life. The drummer had gone to do his National Service and was unavailable to band practices for 3 months. More obstacles started to crop up after that. Seth had to leave the band temperorily for personal reasons. So now they were 2 members short.

But they soon saw the silver lining when they found a new vocalist, Gene to join the band. Jon had now gone back to being a full time guitarist. Terry, although back from NS, was still very busy and missed many jamming sessions. On mutual understanding, Terry left the band. Terence, another new drummer, *yes, there has been a series of drummers. For those counting, he is drummer number 3* Soon after, a 2nd gutarist, Jin Shan, joined the band.

Hence, the band was complete and here to stay. Recently they've had a series of gigs and played in two Taylor's events as guest performers.




Here's they're facebook link. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/2nd-To-None/128548021460?ref=ts



Here's a video of them playing at MMU faculty of Rock which they got 2nd place at. Its ironic that they got 2nd and their band's name is 2nd to NONE? so the band who got first is probably 'NONE'. LOL. sorry, couldn't help myself.




I should be getting payed for all this publicity. LOL

lyrics from one of their originals.

the first time when your eyes met mine,
you gave me butterflies,
the first time when you fell into my arms,
i felt the warmth of your love,
the first time when you walked in my way,
i knew you were the one,
the first time when i heard you speak,
you took my heart away

this could be it,
you're an impossible dream ,
you're the light in my darkest nights,
i might be crazy,but i know,
its all m y love for you

the first time i captured your smile,
i was head over heels,
the first time on bended knees,
you please be my everythin

this could be it,
you're an impossible dream,
you're the light in my darkest night
i might be crazy, but i know,
its all my love for you,
its all because of you,
i need your precious touch,
its all because of you

song writer: Jonathan Tan

Check them out.

There's another band. They're pretty popular in Monash. Yes, they are from Monash. Crossing Bouudaries. Check them out too. I am too lazy to continue this post... SO here's the link to their facebook. http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150200336705002#!/crossingboundaries
They have quite a few originals out that are pretty good. Personal favourite, 'I'm Sorry' . Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment