Life in Words. Seeing the World through my eyes.

Friday, May 7, 2010

The Game that involves Small Balls and Long Hard Sticks

... Giggs has the ball, two Chelsea players on his tail, Neville is open, Giggs passes, Neville has the ball, running quickly, avoiding tackles from Drogba he passes to Rooney, Rooney, ROONEY,ROONEY... and he scores!...


*the crowd cheers*



Football, the most popular sport in the world. All the football fans around the world are linked by one sport. Isn't it amazing? *I sound like a Mass Comm text book- functions of mass media; linkage* Sorry, I just finished my first Mass Comm assignment. At least I am applying the knowledge. Miss Karmini will be proud. =D Should I do Harvard Referencing, then ?

One statement :




Sports, it is universal.



Sports has always been a part of my life, personally. Although I have short legs, abnormally large feet for a girl and run like a duck, I sill like the feeling of the sun on my skin and the adrenaline rush of playing sports. In my childhood days, which wasn't too long ago, I would play any sport. I was never the athlete in school. I was just willing to sweat and stand under the hot sun to enjoy a game. I was never embarrassed on how I waddled across the field, kicked the ball the wrong way or swung the racket wildly in the air but missing the ball totally. I could never excel in the sports in school because they all required running and I, obviously, can't.



My dad later on introduced golf to me and my sister. I didn't really enjoy it at first because it is an individual game and it was really boring just standing in one place learning how to hit a motionless ball. Where was the adrenaline? Where was the fun? But as soon as I got the hang of it, I got hooked. I soon had a good friend along side with me, learning the art of the sport.



Golf became my sport addiction. The best thing about it was that I didn't have to run. It was a walking game. *Thank God*




Many people call it an old man's game. Yes, I admit. It is rather boring to watch on TV if you don't understand the game and yes, there are many old men playing the game. But if you understand the game then its one hell of a game.

Golf is really challenging and it stimulates your brain cells. A good golf game is not based on impulse but on strategy. Its not just about swinging the golf club and hitting the ball blindly. It takes alot of mental strength and body coordination to hit the ball precisely at, what we call, the sweet spot. Imagine hitting a small dimpled ball while trying to focus on your wrists, knees and exertion of strength. The timimg must be precise to get a straight ball.
But being able to hit a straight ball doesn't make you a good golf player yet. There's still all the other skills that you have to master like chipping, putting and driving. Then there's hitting a draw ball, fade ball and a whole lot more. How good a player you are depends on your course management skills. The golf course is like a obstacle course. Every move made should be carefully thought through and executed after considering all risks. Mental strength also has a big influence on the game. A good golf player has to have the three C's; cool, calm and collected. Emotions will affect the result of the game. Etiquette is another thing that is taken very seriously in golf. This is why golf is also known as a gentleman's game.





I am not a super good golfer but I enjoy the game. It's actually good fun and definitely suitable for people who like to socialize. Unlike other games that require speed, golf gives the players time to bond on the course. In my 4 years of playing golf, I've had some awesome experiences.





I remember the first time I drove the buggy/golf cart. Oh my! I was only 15 then and I had no idea how to drive one.


It was during MSSJ (state level) when I first lay my hands on the wheel of the mini, battery running vehicle. I already had butterflies because I was so nervous about the competition and now, to add on the intensity, I had to drive a buggy when it was totally foreign to me. I placed my hands on the wheel, excited and nervous at the same time. I stepped on the peddle, trying not to exert too much pressure at first. All was going well. I actually got the hang of it pretty fast until I turned the wrong way and had to reverse. The boys, under 18 category was already teeing off. The crowd had been waved down to pin drop silence. A familiar face was standing at the tee box. The concentration on his face was intense. When suddenly this low hard scratch of metal and concrete echoed in the silence of the surrounding. I had reversed right up the concrete curb, scratching the bottom of the car as I accelerated backwards. Everyone had turned and looked at me, a frown pasted prominently on their foreheads. "SHHHHhhh... !" The marshal growled at me, pointing his index finger straight at me. The boy who was about to swing his driver looked up at me, his face no longer intense but now, it had transformed into a grin. "Sorry, Irvin, " I mouthed. He shook his head as if a pardoning and he looked back down at his ball.





From that day onwards, I always made sure I knew which way to steer when reversing my buggy or car. That day was one of those epic embarrassing moments that I will definitely have to live with for the rest of my life.






Golf has given me back so much. Friends that I consider family, complete with our golf 'parents'; my school golf/addmaths teacher. The both of them moulded u be the golf players we are today. They taught us that it isn't just about being a good player and winning competitions but also to be well-mannered and rule abiding. That's what being a good sportsman is about.

\

Playing tournaments has given me exposure and experience that I never thought I could have gained in this lifetime. I have met many type of people from all around Malaysia, forming great friendships and making new connections.

Who knows, one day, they might just save my life. I have learnt how to be more sociable and confident of myself when meeting new people. Emotions that used to be wild and untamable are now more under control.



Who knew that just by swinging a iron stick at a ball not bigger than the fist could give teach me so many life lessons?



Sports, its not just fun, its beneficial too.





Golf, I just love it. The challenges of facing the course with only 14 iron sticks, one ball and gloves as a weapon, it is awesome. The challenge is different all the time, although the course is the same. But the feeling of standing under the sun or even under the rain sometimes, feeling the perspiration on my skin, looking at the green course, trees above filled with birds chirping away and taking in the fresh air in every pant, its just amazing.



In the words of Tiger Woods, "I don't go into any tournament thinking it would be great to lose. I think it would be asinine to think that way."

No comments:

Post a Comment