Life in Words. Seeing the World through my eyes.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Greatest Gift

I sat on the bed. I heard the ticking of the clock, tick-tock-tick-tock... In every tick, everything became clearer and clearer. Now I knew where I was and how I got there. It was simple and yet so hard to believe. Here I sat awake at 2 in the morning in a place so familiar to me,a place I felt safest in, my sanctuary. Was I dreaming? Could this be real? Am I... really home?

3 weeks,21 days and 504 hours have I been staying in a room so unfamiliar to me. Waking up every 2 hours at night isn't the most fun thing to do. Rushing down for the shuttle bus in the morning or walking to campus if I miss the bus, reaching class already drenched in sweat isn't very enjoyable. Coming home later to an empty apartment, staring at the four walls of my small,stuffy,rented room as it stares back at me and soon it seems like the walls are closing in on me. When dark falls, I dare not walk out of my unit, afraid of the evil that lurks in the night. Paranoid? Maybe... But growing up in a small town had spoiled me rotten. Now, living in the city all alone seemed so much more dangerous. The city was suffocating me, killing my personality and sucking out all the energy out of me. Exaggeration? Not really... I did feel that way.
This one week holiday, I'm spending it back home in Kluang. The feeling is worlds apart. I woke up on Saturday morning to find myself on my own bed. I woke up, and heard the chatter of my parents. Breakfast was set on the table just waiting for me to indulge. Ah, life was good... Pampered, I was. In the melodious words of Oliver Twist, "Food glorious food" Need I say more?

My mum, she always claimed I had too many groups of friends.
In the words of the wise Albert Einstein, "Only a life lived for others is a life worth living"
I know I'm wrongly using the quote... But still...

I joined various activities in school last time so I met many different type of people through different types of activities. First, my golf family. I love them. We've been through so much together. We started off as a few of the first junior golfers. Facing alot of discrimination from the golf club in the earlier days, we persevered alot together. Its usually hardship that brings people together and that is what bonded us even closer. We know each other inside out. We've stayed together during tournaments, seen the tears and laughter. I can just be myself around them and that's why I love them to bits.
My schoolmates. A friendship that blossomed over undone homework and disciplinary punishment. Literally, through thick and thin. So many memories formed, both good and bad. How can you not love the people you meet almost everyday for the past 5 years? The last two years of high school, my class, 5 STA 2, made 7 teachers cry and was blamed for the death of a teacher. Hows that for memorable? Its not something to be proud of... BUT, we'll never forget. Yes, I was a rebel in school. Thank goodness SPM results didn't suck too bad. Ah, we had some pretty awesome times in school. This group... It was music that brought us together. We call ourselves the Zubinators. Its a funny story how we became friends. We were linked together through a guy named Zubin; therefore Zubinators. We formed a band temporarily to perform for a charity event. We came out in the News Straits Times! But the important thing was that a special friendship was created. We're the next best thing next to the Beatles (in my head) =D
At first there were 3 of us. One migrated to Canada, and then there were 2. We've known each other since Standard 1. We go way back. If we wrote a history book it'll probably be super thick. Every time we meet, we talk for hours. I trust them with my deepest darkest secrets.The three of us were high school besties. The three musketeers? Well, almost. Where you see one, the other two are not far behind. The three of us are very different. I'm the goofy one. Zi Xuen is the smart one. Shannon is the sensible one. But some how, we managed to get along really well and ended up being BFF's until this day.

Hence, I've been going out everyday to meet my friends. I just feel like I owe them an explanation since I left so abruptly without informing anyone. To those of my friends that thought of me and worried for me... THANKS! LOVE YOU GUYS! and to those who didn't, *tut* =D

So, my holidays, I can sum up as eating well, sleeping well, catching up with friends and spending time with my family. It's probably not the most interesting holiday to blog about, but I'm pretty happy with my few days of holiday so far. Just that assignments are always hindering at the back of my mind.
*friends just called me from Singapore, a trip I was SUPPOSED to join. Blog about that in the next post.*

No comments:

Post a Comment